Long Download problem

Anson 10:21 17 Dec 06

I am using Windows explorer, Windows XP Prof.
When downloading a large update that takes more than an hour, it is interrupted after sixty minutes with a dialogue box that says, roughly speaking,
'This download will be terminated within sixty seconds. If you need to keep it running, click on
'Continue'.
If I am away from the computer I miss the dialogue box I lose the download and have to start again.
Please, can anyone tell me how to get round this annoyance and prevent the dialogue box from appearing? Many thanks. ANSON.

rawprawn 10:39 17 Dec 06

I think the only way around it is to upgrade to broadband. I am not certain but I think the warning is standard and used by ISP's on dial up connections after a specified time to make sure that the open line is being used and not simply forgotten.

Anson 12:47 18 Dec 06

Thank you rawprawn for your helpful suggestion but broadband is out of the question at the moment. Anson

I am Spartacus 13:06 18 Dec 06

click here

I've been using it for a couple of years and it works well.

Input Overload 13:10 18 Dec 06
  sheila.weston 14:25 18 Dec 06

I found free download manager (as recommended by Input Overload) ideal - before I took the plunge and upgraded to broadband - with the cheapest package from tiscali.
Sheila

xania 16:30 18 Dec 06

Alternatively, you can use a little program to keep your connection alive. It works by refreshing a separate surf window every few seconds/minutes.

click here
click here
click here
click here

and so on.

Anson 10:37 20 Dec 06

Many thanks to 'Spartacus', Sheila Weston,xania and unknown friends who answered my problem. Seems I have a wide choice to choose from.
Manny Thanks Anson.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…