Long distance USB 2 extension

anskyber 21:23 27 May 06

With my limited PC knowledge I have set up a modem/router which has allowed me to network my PC with my old laptop. My wife is keen to use the old laptop for very, and I mean very, occasional internet use and e-mail.

My PC is on the only ethernet connection to the router (I chose the ethernet for the main use because I understood the connectivity for bandwidth was better) which leaves a single USB connection on the router for the laptop on which I set up the connections which now work. It may seem straitforward to many but for me it is a minor triumph.

My problem is the potential limit to USB connectivity. To make the join I need something like 10 meters of cable. (please do not mention wireless I'll take that step another day!) I have found this click here but I am sceptical. Any thoughts?

Newuser2 21:34 27 May 06

I stand to be corrected but I'm sure you will get a serious signal loss on a USB cable of that length.
Surely your router has more than one output socket.
Why not get a patch cable and connect the laptop via that.
I have router down satirs and a patch cable running up into the loft and down again into my sons room, must be over 30foot long, no loss of signal at all.
If you go to Belkins web site there is a wizard which will show you all you need.

VoG II 21:36 27 May 06

Get a PCMCIA wireless card for the laptop. Once installed it should pick up your wireless router (and the neighbour's as well probably) and you should be able to connect.

Believe me - if I can do this (and I have) - anybody can.

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:37 27 May 06

can't you move the laptop closer to the router or is it somewhere inconvenient.

martjc 21:39 27 May 06

for your needs.
Also, check out this: click here

anskyber 21:40 27 May 06

Thanks but its not a wireless modem/router and it has one ethernet and one USB connection. It is the entry level hardware with my new Zen BB.

martjc 21:40 27 May 06

...with these devices. You should be o.k.

anskyber 21:43 27 May 06

To demonstrate my lack of knowledge how does a patch cable differ in performance to a "standard" USB 2?

anskyber 21:44 27 May 06

These devices being the type I have highlighted?

Newuser2 22:17 27 May 06

A patch cable is not a USB cable its an ethernet cable which connects computer to computer via the RJ ports on the computers. This is the link to belkins wizard click here ://www3.belkin.com/Wizard/(vfzxft55bdmk2145bdduirr3)/NetWiz/Default.aspx?cid=6

Newuser2 22:21 27 May 06

Sorry the link didn't work properly.
Copy and paste the link I just posted into your browser.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…