Long Boot Up Time After Installing 2nd Hard Drive

PinguJohn 14:54 28 Sep 04

I have recently installed a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB (6Y120P0) as a second hard drive into my computer and formatted it, using the MaxBlast software, as an additional storage drive only. Thus keeping my existing drive, a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X-6L (6L060J3), as the boot drive.

I followed the instructions on how to install the drive in the Installation Guide exactly, setting the jumpers, mounting the drive, attaching the cables, configuring the BIOS, and formatting the drive.

Everything concerning the new drive seems to work fine, the new drive is recognised, I can access the new drive and copy files from my existing drive to the new drive and visa-versa.

However, my computer now takes a long time to boot up - usually between 3.5 and 4 mins, and sometimes nearly 5 mins.

I would be grateful if anybody could offer any advice and a possible remedy to the long boot up time.

My system specification:-

ASUSTeK A7A266-E Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU (266MHZ)
512MB (2 x 256MB) PC2100 DDR Memory (266MHZ)
64MB NVidia GForce3 TI 200 Graphics Card
Windows XP Home Edition

stylehurst 14:58 28 Sep 04

Suspect the addition of second drive is unrelated to the problem.
Major reason for slow downs is presence of spyware etc
Do you use adaware or spybot if not then instal them and run scans

PinguJohn 15:21 28 Sep 04

Thanks Stylehurst, will download and run adaware and spybot to see what they find

Djohn 15:23 28 Sep 04

I would try the following and it is the way I have both my Maxtor drives set up.

Set the jumpers on the back of each drive to CS [Cable Select]. Connect the master drive with your operating system on to the end of the IDE cable. Connect your slave drive to the middle connector of the IDE cable. [Assuming 80 strand IDE cable]

Go into Bios and set both drives to Auto select. Your computer should now be able to identify the C: drive and boot much quicker.

From a cold boot to a working desktop should take between 25 - 45 seconds depending on how many programs load at start-up. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…