Loking to install a wireless network

Red Devil 12:19 20 Nov 05

I'm looking to add a wireles network to my network at home and was wondering what was the best way of going about it.

I've looked at MIMO but it says that the standard hasn't been officially adopted yet.

I'd obviously like to have MIMO if I can as one of the computers that needs to be connected is going to be in a shed in the garden and is quite a way from where the router/wirless hub is going to be for my model railway but am concerned that if I get a setup that claims to support MIMO, once the standard becomes official I'll be left with something that isn't compatible.

I'd, therefore, welcome any advice on this.

mgmcc 13:12 20 Nov 05

If you install a MIMO router and Wireless Network adapters that work reliably with it, the fact that a standard is subsequently adopted for MIMO, or 802.11n or whatever, isn't going to render your wireless network inoperable. At the moment, 802.11b hardware is still available, so it should be some condiderable time before adapters compatible with a router bought today were no longer able to be purchased.

As always, there is never a "best time" to buy - what you buy today will be superseded by something better tomorrow!

BurrWalnut 13:45 20 Nov 05

"Never be a guinea pig" - Shakespeare or was it Alan Sugar?

Red Devil 12:02 30 Nov 05

Thanks for your reply.

My concern is that, once I've bought a wireless network, once the specification for MIMO becomes officially adopted and I wish to expand my wireless network that there may be compatibility issues between the hardware I bought before the spec was adopted and anything bought afterwards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…