logonui.exe - Application Error

SB23 12:50 06 Jul 06

My pc has been very difficult to log off, and to turn off the last couple of days. When my wife tried to log off just a moment ago, this is the message that she got,

logonui.exe - Application error
The instruction at "0x73d77b04" referenced memory at "0x00000000. The memory could not be written"

Then the other style of logon screen came up, but it didn't recognise her password.

Can anyone tell me what on earth is going on ?

Thanks

Steve

MAJ 13:14 06 Jul 06

If it's been happening for only a few days, SB23, have you tried a System Restore to before that date to see if it cures the problem?

SB23 13:43 06 Jul 06

Isn't that the easy solution, lol. I was more curious as to what has caused it, and to how I can rectify it, without the easy option, which I have to say doesn't always work.

woodchip 13:46 06 Jul 06

I would say not just Restore but the Problem May be a direct Link to Restore, trying to do it's backup before closing

woodchip 13:48 06 Jul 06

If you have problem running a restore back to early date then that's the problem. It's got it's nickers in a twist

SB23 13:55 06 Jul 06

If thats the case, how do I fix System restore, this is before I go down that road.

woodchip 14:00 06 Jul 06

If you have tried running System restore and it does not work. You have to turn System restore off, there is a box to tick then turn it back on and make a new restore point. You will lose all previous Restore Points by doing this but it will then work

SB23 14:11 06 Jul 06

Isn't that going to restore with the current problem in tow?

woodchip 17:11 06 Jul 06

If you have a problem and Restore does not work what good are the restore points! You may just as well try to sort the problem out. This may be the registry that's corrupt

SB23 17:19 06 Jul 06

That was my point

woodchip 17:23 06 Jul 06

Yes but with it as it is, Restore not working playing with it may sink it, then you have nothing to go back to. If you get restore working as above you can at least restore to what you have now. And that's what you want

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…