Logon to server from workstation

TonyF 14:57 12 Nov 03

i am running Windows 2000 Server & have setup user accounts to access the user files on the server. I have setup say " JohnS " to as a user, but have left the password blank. On his workstation he has to logon when the computer 1st starts up with the password ( say) "johnscomputer". This seems to create a problem that when he attempts to log on the server it asks for his name & password, but if on the server I then make his password the same ie "johnscomputer" it seems to map the drive OK. Is there a way he has to log on to his workstation computer using a set password & then have a different ( or blank) password to map to the server without asking logon details?

Thanks

recap 15:40 12 Nov 03

TonyF, if you have left the password blank then it should not ask the user for a password. The option you have when setting password are: User must change password at next logon, User cannot change password, Password expires or Account is disabled.

With all these options there are other settings that can be applied under Security. If for instance you go into Local Security Setting, you should see under Account Policy a Password Policy, options were you can give a minumum or maximum age to the password and so on. If you go into any of these Security Setting make sure you write down which one you are in and what you have changed for future reference as there are several layers of Security Settings within 2K server.

TonyF 17:55 12 Nov 03

Hi ßéLâ

Yes it is running a domain etc

Regards

Sir Radfordin 19:17 12 Nov 03

Don't know if it matters but...

What OS is the workstation?

recap 19:28 12 Nov 03

To log on to the server from any OS/Platform a username and password is required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…