logon problem

Newuser2 12:57 PM 18 Jun 11

Just upgraded from XP to W7 all went well untill I installed keyboard software. The PC boots up OK but the keyboard and mouse are dead to I can't enter my password. Tried another key board but no go. Is there a way around this big prob.

johndrew 13:49 PM 18 Jun 11

Are keyboard/mouse PS2/USB/wireless?

It may be you will need basic PS2 units (uninstall the rest) to enable a login as other options may well be disabled for security.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:55 PM 18 Jun 11

Ensure legacy for DOS is enabled in the BIOS and use a USB keyboard

Newuser2 13:57 PM 18 Jun 11

Units are PS2. I can't unistall as I can't enter the password as the keyboard and mouse are dead. Was tinking of getting a new keyboard, but till I can access the PC me thinks I'm stuck

Newuser2 14:17 PM 18 Jun 11

Can't see any way to enable lecacy for DOS

birdface 14:35 PM 18 Jun 11

Maybe try starting in safe mode and see if you can get it to work on there.If so.[all went well untill I installed keyboard software]Maybe uninstall the keyboard software and let Microsoft update it on a reboot.

Newuser2 14:59 PM 18 Jun 11

Tried safe mode, and several other options. When it gets to the password screen the keyboard is dead.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:00 PM 18 Jun 11

Have you tried just plugging in a USB keyboard? and rebooting

Newuser2 15:04 PM 18 Jun 11

Fruit Bat mmmmm No but its an idea. Just have to go a get one I guess.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:08 PM 18 Jun 11

£2 or £3 from Asda / tesco always useful to have a spare keyboard / mouse

Newuser2 16:30 PM 18 Jun 11

Well usb keyboard attached, mouse works but still cant enter password into box. It tells me I can reset password using a disc I made previously. I didn't make one cause W7 upgrade didn't advise to make one.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Google's new logo was redesigned

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites