logon problem

Newuser2 18 Jun 11

Just upgraded from XP to W7 all went well untill I installed keyboard software. The PC boots up OK but the keyboard and mouse are dead to I can't enter my password. Tried another key board but no go. Is there a way around this big prob.

johndrew 18 Jun 11

Are keyboard/mouse PS2/USB/wireless?

It may be you will need basic PS2 units (uninstall the rest) to enable a login as other options may well be disabled for security.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18 Jun 11

Ensure legacy for DOS is enabled in the BIOS and use a USB keyboard

Newuser2 18 Jun 11

Units are PS2. I can't unistall as I can't enter the password as the keyboard and mouse are dead. Was tinking of getting a new keyboard, but till I can access the PC me thinks I'm stuck

Newuser2 18 Jun 11

Can't see any way to enable lecacy for DOS

buteman 18 Jun 11

Maybe try starting in safe mode and see if you can get it to work on there.If so.[all went well untill I installed keyboard software]Maybe uninstall the keyboard software and let Microsoft update it on a reboot.

Newuser2 18 Jun 11

Tried safe mode, and several other options. When it gets to the password screen the keyboard is dead.

Have you tried just plugging in a USB keyboard? and rebooting

Newuser2 18 Jun 11

Fruit Bat mmmmm No but its an idea. Just have to go a get one I guess.

£2 or £3 from Asda / tesco always useful to have a spare keyboard / mouse

Newuser2 18 Jun 11

Well usb keyboard attached, mouse works but still cant enter password into box. It tells me I can reset password using a disc I made previously. I didn't make one cause W7 upgrade didn't advise to make one.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message