Logon Problem

JimT 20:08 16 Apr 06

I have a laptop running W XP Pro and I disabled the only two users (don't ask !).

Now I can't get past the logon screen even using Administrator in safe mode(which I thought was supposed to be a default).

As I can't get in I can't get to command prompt and so can't use the control passwords2 facility.

What I can't understand is why can't I get in as I did when I bought the computer and switched on for the first time, and before I set any users?

Jimt

VoG II 21:16 16 Apr 06

1- Boot from the Windows XP CD

2- Press Enter to start setup

3- Press F8 for the license agreement

4- When you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so

5- Let it run through and wait until it reboots and is installing devices then press shift F10 to open a command prompt

6- Type in nusrmgr.cpl at the command prompt and press Enter - this should open up the user accounts applet

7- Select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again

8- Let the inplace upgrade finish

JimT 21:50 16 Apr 06

Thanks VoG, but before I do - does this wipe out all settings?

JimT

VoG II 21:54 16 Apr 06

No it is a repair - settings retained.

When you've done this and all is well again, I would be interested to know how you managed to delete all user accounts accidentally. Just for future reference as a conversation piece.

VoG II 21:55 16 Apr 06

Um well, user settings not retained, for obvious reasons.

JimT 11:32 17 Apr 06

VoG

I got into Recovery Console.

It then asks me what installation I want to log onto and shows - 1. C:\WINDOWS

When I pressed 1 it asks for administartor password!!

JimT

JimT 11:39 17 Apr 06

VoG

I should mention that I have a Fujitsu laptop and am using the Recovery CD supplied with it. Does that make a difference?

JimT

Taff™ 12:01 17 Apr 06

Yes I think it does. You need an XP CD to do as VoG™ suggests. VoG™ will confirm I think.

Try this in the meantime. Boot the computer in normal mode. When you get to the log in scren I suppose you just have the administrator account and that asks for a password. Have you tried all the obvious one` such as (without quotation marks) "admin" "administrator" Upper Case options as well?

At the log in page try the three fingered salute TWICE (Ctrl+Alt+Delete - Note Twice) this should also bring up the hidden administrator account - try for no password first then the other options as before.

JimT 13:12 17 Apr 06

Taff

Tried various password options.

The C+A+D twice didn't work.

JimT

remind 13:14 17 Apr 06

Reset password; click here
Boot disk or boot CD

JimT 16:56 17 Apr 06

Any other ideas anyone?

JimT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…