Logitech Wingman Rumblepad won't install

CLONNEN 19:44 06 Jan 06

I have purchased a Logitech Wingman Rumblepad gamepad for my PC. Unfortunately it refuses to install properly on my ME computer.

I have tried both the cdrom version of the Gamepad Software and the most recent download version from the Logitech website but in both cases after the computer completes copying the files to the hard drive and Reboots the computer to complete the installation, the computer comes to full stop just after the Windows Desktop appears. The mouse and keyboard both stop responding and the hard drive activity light on the front of the tower unit stops blinking - even pressing the power button to restart manually it still freezes up at exactly the same point.

I keep having to reset my computer to a point before installing the Logitech software to get back into my computer. I have tried the Logitech software on our other two computers and neither of them have this issue with the Reboot.

If anyone knows what my computers problem is please enlighten me. I have tried reading the FAQs on Logitech's website to no avail.

Giggle n' Bits 19:57 06 Jan 06

Device Manager? Right Click on My Computer, Select Properties and a dialouge box window opens. Then click on the Device Manager Tab.

with the Wingman plugged in, do you see any Yellow Exclamation mark against anything like Game port or in the Sound section about 3/4's down the list.

Also is this a Game port or USB connector ?

CLONNEN 20:03 06 Jan 06

The Rumblepad is connected via the front USB port.

Cannot access the Device Manager - like I mentioned above the keyboard and mouse both stop functioning after the Install and Reboot. The final screen of the installation only has one button on it "Reboot" there is no Cancel button to enable me to avoid the Reboot.

The Gamepad is not even connected at this point - the screen telling me to connect the gamepad to the USB port is SUPPOSED to appear after the Reboot (the computer locks up at this point).

CLONNEN 20:20 06 Jan 06

If I plug the Gamepad into the USB port without installing the Logitech software it detects it as a Human Interface Device (HID) within the Device Manager but it doesn't show as a Gamepad in the Control Panel - Gaming Options list of game controllers anywhere. I need to install the proper driver for it so I can configure the Gamepad to work with games.

I have tried doing Ctrl-Alt-Delete at the final screen of the installation instead of "Reboot" and End Tasking it and then Restarting via the Shut Down menu but I still get the same lock-up in the same place when I next boot.

I have installed other software on my computer which included a Reboot to complete the setup but none of them caused this strange behaviour.

CLONNEN 20:25 06 Jan 06

Is it an Installshield issue? The Logitech software clearly states Installshield in the corner of every screen during the installation.

Or is it a Startup issue? The fact that it is supposed to continue with the installation straight after the Reboot leads me to think that it must be adding a RunOnce Startup item somewhere - maybe I should try tracking it down and deleting it and then Reboot and start the Logitech Profiler Software manually.

CLONNEN 21:01 06 Jan 06

Have tried running MSCONFIG before clicking the Reboot button and it shows 2 items have been added :

StartWMDriverWiz C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wmwizard.dll,WMWizardMain

Start Wingman Profiler
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Profiler\Lwtest.exe" /detect /quiet /launch "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Profiler\LwEmon.exe /noui"

If I untick BOTH items Windows boots normally without locking up the computer.

BUT if I try to manually start the Logitech Profiler software from the Start Menu the computer freezes again.

How the hell am I supposed to configure the Gamepad when the software won't even load on my machine?

CLONNEN 21:20 06 Jan 06

Okay - I think I just made a breakthrough!

I just tried plugging the Gamepad into the USB port after unticking the 2 Logitech startup items which seem to be causing the conflict. It detected it as a Logitech Wingman Rumblepad AND it added it to the Control Panel - Gaming Options list (Hooray!).

Gamepad buttons and Mini-Joysticks (and Rumble function) work beautifully as long as I don't start the Logitech Profiler software.

I think I'll set the Logitech entry on the Start Menu to "Hidden" so the kids can't accidentally try to use the Logitech software - Windows seems to be doing a great job by itself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos