logitech or creative inspire,5.1 speakers?

dfghjkl 23:08 29 Nov 03

hello which are best logitech z640,5.1 speakers or creative inspire 5300,5.1,also how good is the 5.1 onboard on a msi kt4 mobo is it the same as a cheap 5.1 card or better or worse(ie not worth using)i will use speakers for the odd game and dvd,s but i mainly want to use my pc as a cd player,(as far as the speakers are concerned)these are in my budget,but i cant afford any dearer ones,i know you get what you pay for but any advice welcome,thanks

Jester2K II 23:12 29 Nov 03

If its main use is playing CDs you might be better paying for a more decetn set of 2.1 (Left / Right / Subwoofer) speakers.

CDs aren't designed for 5.1.

If the main use was DVDs and games i would say go Creative but also aim to get a better 5.1 card soon...

Djohn 23:17 29 Nov 03

I have the Videologic ZX 500 5.1 speakers and they are excellent at that price range. If you are mainly using your system for listening to music, then it may be better to use 3.1 speakers. That is two speakers and a sub-woofer.

Even though you have 4, 5, or 6 speakers, when listening to stereo music only the 2 [Left & Right] + sub will emit sound.

On-board sound from the recent motherboards is excellent and well up to moderate priced sound cards. I think the only time it will be worth spending the extra for a separate card is if you buy an expensive one with expensive speakers to match. j.

Jester2K II 23:21 29 Nov 03

Powerless has infected me......

dfghjkl 23:27 29 Nov 03

i think i have narrowed it down to the logitech z640 with my ob 5.1,or creative labs audio surround kit(5100 and a soundblaster live card)or videologic zxr 550.any thoughts? (the cd listening is for the missus)

Djohn 23:34 29 Nov 03

I think the 550's are the more recent version of my 500's. I use mine with a Soundblaster live card and stereo and movies are excellent. j.

Giggle n' Bits 23:44 29 Nov 03

try to go to a local PC sales place and see if they have any speakers on demo. places like Staples have them on. Aldi were selling a decent set of 5 for about £30 to go with there new releace medion PC this week.

Oh, any aldi medion fans ! they still havent sold them all.

Gaz 25 01:11 30 Nov 03

"Even though you have 4, 5, or 6 speakers, when listening to stereo music only the 2 [Left & Right] + sub will emit sound."

Well if you get a Bose, you get it through all!!!

Anyway, if you get a decent Creative sound card and Creative speaker system, you should be able to upmix the sound.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…