Logitec Z-10 speakers (or similar) question

skeletal 23:10 24 Apr 07

I have a question for anyone who may have the Logitech Z-10 Interactive speakers (or similar).

They say they connect audio information from the PC via USB. If so, how does the sound card work; i.e., there is all manner of clever audio stuff going on, which ends up at the line output of the card. This is then normally connected to an amp/speaker system. How does USB bypass this process, but still use the facilities of the audio card?

Skeletal

Technotiger 23:20 24 Apr 07

Hi, I dunno how they do it, but it sure looks neat ...

click here

skeletal 21:17 25 Apr 07

Indeed they do!

I am half thinking of buying a pair, but will they work; will all my audio functions work; will they work with games etc etc????

It all makes sense if the sound comes out of the audio card, but how does the sound get in to the USB system??

Skeletal

Technotiger 21:23 25 Apr 07

"Ours is not to wonder why - ours is but to do and Buy!"

Sorry, couldn't resist that :-)

Stuartli 21:28 25 Apr 07

USB speakers are quite common - you can run various devices from a USB port including Internet phones and even a light for a laptop screen.

Arthur Scrimshaw 21:29 25 Apr 07

I think I need these, but my wife doesn't seem to understand why.

skeletal 21:10 27 Apr 07

Aww…come on guys, doesn’t anyone know how they work??!! I think one of you should buy some and provide me with a report:-))

Other stuff on USB makes sense because a lot of it relates to data that is floating around the computer’s buses (memory sticks in particular); but I thought (wrongly?) that sound data started out that way, but was processed by the sound card to emerge from its line/speaker terminals (so “basic” sound may be there, but not the processed sound).

I mean, if I saw that you could connect a monitor via USB, I’d have to ask how the clever graphics card stuff ended up on the USB system; isn’t sound similar?

Oh, Arthur S, I think you need to tell your wife they are an essential upgrade to keep your system safe...can't argue with that!!

Skeletal

Stuartli 00:03 28 Apr 07

The digital information is indeed processed by the system, but the "active" part of the speakers is aided by the mains adapter (hence active, amplified speakers).

If you have a TV set with Nicam that is digital sound; it was first launched by the BBC in 1990, who invented it, along with Ceefax, another digital medium.

phono 00:21 28 Apr 07

I use a relatively cheap set of USB speakers with my laptop and they are first class, far superior to the laptops onboard speakers, the Z-10 speakers certainly look the part.

skeletal 09:31 28 Apr 07

Stuartli:

I understand the "active" part; typically, one of the "speakers" also includes an amplifier powered via the mains adapter. Indeed the ones I am using currently do just that. The difference is that my current ones are plugged into the output from the sound card, so all the clever sound things will end up in the amp/speaker (actually a waste, as my curent ones are of poor qualtiy, hence the interest in new ones).

My problem is understanding how the clever sound stuff gets into the USB system, rather than (as well as?) the sound card's line output.

Nicam etc, also has digital processing (which I am happy with), but again the output of the digital processor goes into the TV's sound amplifiers (or to an external AV amp) and hence to the speakers. A clear and understandable path.

phono: I take it that you ONLY connect your speakers to your USB port (and a mains adapter I guess). Did the speakers come with any software?

If so, it definately looks like the sound is in the USB somewhere!

Hmmm...my simple question looks a bit more complex after all!

Thanks for the replies.

Skeletal

Stuartli 10:44 28 Apr 07

This should give you a clue:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…