Login

phildux 10:21 18 May 05

hello we are about to launch our web site. i would like our customers to be able to login into the web site and get there info. how can we set this, so the can login but can only get access to there account. how do we control and set the user names and passwords.

phildux 07:35 19 May 05

its not that bad john. a little background my be helpful. we are a transport company and all our customers would want to see, is has there goods been delivered or when will they be delivered, also to be able to print off pod's (proof of delivery) which have been scanned in. There would not be any account details displayed, but trying to keep job information from one customer to another. is that still as bad?

Nelmon2k 09:17 19 May 05

I don't think it is as bad. If your looking for information about the data protection act you can find it here click here (sorry for the location its just where I saw it last). If your wanting to create a site like that you probably should have a database site running mysql. If where your hosting it wont allow you a database site or you don't want to use a database you can use a flat file system. This however will be more difficult especially if you havent done a language such as php. It is still possible to do it though as you can if you wish modify an existing design that has a similar function. Good luck

welshwizard712 17:06 21 May 05

right bascially in a nutshell.

You need to learn PHP with MySQL and quite well to be honest :)

You will then need to code, thts right code!!! a logon and user CP script lol.

You can google them and you just edit the varaibles and you just setup the MySQL database.

I know there are other ways but i find php with mysql alot more straight forward.

WeLsH

ps. best way id do it is use sum sort of HTTP authorisation.

Forum Editor 20:08 21 May 05

There are hundreds of ready-made solutions out there, and depending on the number of customer accounts, and the degree of separation required you should be able to find something that will fit the bill.

I recently designed a site for a company that wanted to send each of its 150 customers to his/her private area, and it was achieved in FrontPage with the addition of a simple Perl script and a password manager. Don't assume that you have to use overkill because of the data-protection issue, particularly if there will be no sensitive information involved. Proofs of delivery aren't necessarily data-sensitive.

I'm a believer in keeping things simple by default, and adding layers of complexity only when absolutely necessary, so explore the options before plunging into heavy-duty security measures - it's all about risk assessment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…