Logical Drive?

bamfiesler 10:27 06 Jul 03

Can anyone explain what the logical drive in the extended partition of my Local Drive actually does?

LastChip 11:12 06 Jul 03

When "fdisk" partitions a drive, it essentially splits the drive into two; a Primary Partition and an Extended Partition.

The Primary Partition will be recognized straight away, but the Extended Partition is invisible to Windows, until you do something with it!

Within the Extended Partition, you create Logical Drives. This can comprise of the whole of the remainder (Extended Partition) of the drive, or, it can be further split into a number of Logical Drives according to taste.

So, at its simplest, you create a Primary Partition, (C: Drive) and an Extended Partition, using the whole of the extension as a Logical Drive, (D: Dive).

Or, you create a Primary Partition, (C: Drive) and an Extended Partition, within which you create TWO further Logical Drives, (Drives D: and E:).

The Extended Partition can be sub-divided into what ever you want. In my case, I have chosen to create a Primary and three Logical Drives in the Extended Partition. This is created for my convenience, and I make sure that all my personal files and back-ups are on drives that are NOT C: Drive, hence, if I have to do a re-install (or a Ghost image), all my personal files remain in tact.

Think of it as a number of individual filing cabinets. One gets destroyed by fire (C: Drive) but the others remain unaffected.

Willow12 11:31 06 Jul 03

To put it a little simpler. Your Primary Partition (usually C:) will be where your OS lives. Whilst a Logical Drive is used for storage. For example any downloads could go to your Logical Drive along with files and folders containing inportant information. This would prevent them being lost if you had a problem with the Primary Drive.

bamfiesler 11:55 06 Jul 03

Thanx, Guys

The logical drive on the hd is relatively small - around 1.14G. I reckon this would be too small for a ghost image of the hd. Also, why can't I 'see' it from My Computer?

LastChip 12:36 06 Jul 03

If its Win2K or XP, it may have been selected as hidden.

Did the manufacturer of your machine put it there?

If so, its probably part of the system required by a recovery disk supplied with your system.

It is a way manufacturers use, to avoid giving you a fully blown version of the operating system, hence cutting costs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…