Logging on to Windows XP

Blade 69 11:44 09 Nov 04

I have windows XP installed and I had loads of spy ware on my pc. So I used aware to get rid of them all. I then went into msconfig and removes some applications from under the services and start-up tab. Now when I start windows it will not let me load my account (think I have stopped a process windows needs to log on). When I click on it to load it up it will say connecting then it says logging off the profile. I tried logging on as administrator but the same thing happens. What is going on and is there a way I can re logon or reset the msconfig to what it was before I changed it.
Any suggestions?

D G 11:51 09 Nov 04

Hi can you not go into safe mode and use last known good configuration or system restore?

Blade 69 12:58 09 Nov 04

When I go into safe mode and try to get in with administrator the same thing happens. (When I select a user it starts to login then says saving settings and I'm back at (still at) the screen with the accounts to select (Administrator, Owner).
I have tried last known good configuration or system restore but I still cannot get in? it the same problem. Is there a way I can by pass this windows logon?

wifipop 14:19 09 Nov 04

I have the same problem after installing wxp sp2. I have to re-install wxp to get back to the postion before sp2. Very tedious!

sortof 16:13 09 Nov 04

Hi...you could try f8 and take option for safe mode with command prompt which brings up the usual login screen but you may be able to access the command prompt black window. Type in c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe to bring up system restore. Login as your user by the way.
Or before you get logged-off press ctrl alt delete then applications > new task to get to the open window and run the command line as above

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…