//some 3rd party need geo

Logging on to a windows 2003 server locally

Ed 00:33 27 Apr 04

Hi,

I am fortunate enough to have a MSDNAA copy of windows 2003 (the joys of being a CompSci student!), and have made a nice roaming desktop network so everyone can log on from any win XP computer and get the same desktop and settings (except the wallpaper doesn't change - if you know why, please tell me!)

The problem with this setup is that it seems to be impossible to let any non-administrators log on to the server locally. This is presumably a nice security consideration, however, I am planning on copying this network set up for a friend of mine's office, and the server needs to also act as a workstation.

Does anyone know if it is possible to let users logon locally to the server without giving them admin rights?

Thanks very much,
Ed

Ed Jellard 00:50 27 Apr 04

Ok, with more searching, I have found a link that should solve my problem -

click here

Except for some reason, I cannot add a user or group to "Allow logon locally" - I am logged on as the administrator, so I would have thought that I should be able to do most things - any ideas?

Thanks again!

Ed Jellard 01:04 27 Apr 04

With a bit of fiddling, I have solved my problem.

Instead of running 'gpedit.msc' as mentioned in the website, I had to run 'Domain Controller Security Policy' from Administrative Tools, then follow the instructions on the website. This let me add/remove users or groups.

I did find a delay of maybe 30seconds between changing the property to actually being able log on locally.

Sorry for filling up a post, and solving it myself - I have replied to 'spread the knowledge'!

Ed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…