Logging off takes a long time

algray 13:17 27 Apr 03

When I log off, restart or shutdown - I always spend a good minute with the "Saving your settings" box moving along. During these period there is no hard drive activity. The rest of the process is relatively quick.

I've tried a couple of things, clearing my temporary internet files, moving My Documents to elsewhere on the hard drive, reducing the Outlook profile size, defragging.

The user profile is local on my Windows 2000 machine, and the Documents and Settings folder size is 50mb.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing this delay?

spikeychris 14:16 27 Apr 03

Have you installed service pack 3? this has been know to cause problems on 2K. "Saving settings" is part of the log off process, (your computer
automatically logs off before it shuts down), if it takes a long time to log off, check
in your add/remove programs list to see if you have Hotfix Q329170 or
Q328310, if you do, remove BOTH of them.

Have you set any policies?

Chris

WXMAN 16:38 27 Apr 03

I have both updates q329170&q328310 and no proplems on XP

spikeychris 16:57 27 Apr 03

These fixes don't cause any problems on XP, they are mainly known to interfere with roaming profiles on 2K but they have also been known to slow down local profiles....

Chris

temp003 03:50 28 Apr 03

You've ticked it as resolved, so you may have uninstalled the updates.

A lot of these so-called critical updates are unnecessary, especially for a low risk home computer.

But if you want to retain the updates, an alternative to uninstalling them, is to use a workaround (especially if you do not use roaming profiles).

Click Start, Run, type gpedit.msc and press Enter. Expand Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Logon. Double click the entry on the right called Maximum retries to unload and update user profile. Select Enabled. Then in the Maximum retries box, reduce it to a smaller number (such as 10). 10 retries means 10 seconds. You can click the Explain tab to see what this setting does (and why it took you exactly 60 seconds for "saving your settings".

I only use local profiles as you do. I changed the setting to 5 retries, and I have not had any problem with it - i.e. my local profile settings are always saved properly.

You will see, however, in Event Viewer, Application log, an error called userenv - that refers to an apparent failure to save the settings. Ignore the entry if you don't use a roaming profile. There is in fact no failure to save the local profile. Even with the default setting of 60 retries, you still get the error.

But if you have uninstalled them, that's probably better.

spikeychris 08:45 28 Apr 03

you have ticked as resolved, can you not just scribble the odd word of explanation? As temp003's excellent post spells out there are other ways and surely manners dictate a least a suggestion as to the outcome....

Chris

spikeychris 08:47 28 Apr 03

"A least" = at least

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…