Logging off and on problem--Xp

Peter-200561 18:33 16 Jun 04

When i shut down into hibernation mode, the computer seems to freeze at the end and ihave to turn off the power to shut down the computer. Often when i restart my user icon is simply missing and i have to drop down to the turn off computer sign and restart.
Other related problem is despite being the only user i sometimes get the message than only the administrator can make changes and refuses to allow me to make various changes;

Any Ideas

Fruit Bat 18:38 16 Jun 04

Not sure I understand your problem.

Hibernation does not power off your computer or even XP it basically just freezes everything and restores at exactly the same point when you come back on. Power Led will still be on.

Fruit Bat 21:22 17 Jun 04

Via e-mail

Hi, to explain more simply, the computer goes through the shutdown process but stays locked on to the final step ie Windows is recording your parametres (Its a french version of XP but thats the basic translation) but nothing happens so i have to turn the power off. At the same time this appeared i also have a problem with the desktop icons, all the descriptions under each icon are highlighted in blue and i cannot get them back to normal; Any ideas Cheers Pete

How long do wait as windows is Saving Your Settings? this can take 20 seconds or more.

You may have corrupt system files - type sfc/scannow ino the run box and press enter you may require the XP disc in the CDrom drive

Peter-200561 07:19 18 Jun 04

Great i carried out your suggestion and it seems back to normal, except for the highlighted icon descriptions.
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5