Logging off problem

Rich Pickings 13:23 27 Feb 07

This is a bit of a strange one. My friend has a PC running Windows XP SP2 with 4 user accounts.
Whoever is the second person to log in is unable to log out, all the other users can log on and off normally.
I.e.: Andy logs in, Andy logs out. Bob logs in, Bob cannot log out and has to 'switch user'. Andy, Carol and Dawn can log in and out as many times as they need but Bob will still not log out and has to switch user. This happens to whoever is the second to log in and isn't user specific.
This has happened, as far as I can tell, since the OS was reinstalled a month or so ago.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:39 27 Feb 07

Possibly a security log problem try:

1. Right Click on My Computer and click on Manage.
2. Under the Computer Managment Window expand System Tools, then expand Event Viewer.
3. Right click on Security and click on Properties.
4. Under "When Maximum log size is reached" select "Overwrite Events as Needed".
Note: You May also want to increase your log size. I recommend it.
5. Enable Fast-User-Switching and the Welcome Screen.

See if this soves your problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:41 27 Feb 07

Set Max log size of 8192KB (8 MB)

Rich Pickings 14:07 27 Feb 07

Thanks for the reply Fruit Bat. Sorry for the delay in replying, but I had to drive accross town to try it.
No luck I'm afraid, the "Overwrite Events as Needed" was already selected, I increased the log size to 8192 but it made no difference.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:20 27 Feb 07

TRy a windows repair

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Rich Pickings 14:23 27 Feb 07

Thanks Fruit Bat, I will try that tomorrow.

Rich Pickings 15:00 27 Feb 07

As well as not being able to log out, the second person to log in cannot turn off or restart the computer. You can however turn off or restart from any other account that is logged in or the Welcome screen, you just get the warning that other yusers are logged in. The 'stuck' account logs out before shutdown if you shutdown from one of the forementioned places.

Rich Pickings 18:00 27 Feb 07

Also the 'stuck' account cannot shut down the computer by pressing the power button. Obviously the PC will switch off if you press and hold the power button, but will not shut down normally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…