logging on a computer over a network

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:12 14 Nov 04

hi is it possible to log onto another computer over a network?.i have a working network that can share files and a printer,if this is possible,how do i do it?.thanks ben

woodt 23:24 14 Nov 04

Try this click here

Urotsukidoji 11:42 15 Nov 04

rather than get another piece of software to do it as woodt advises, first things first

how many pc's on network.
what o/s are you using on each machine?
how are you connecting?
are you using router/switch/crossover cable

what have you tried to do?

the more info the easier it gets!

Have a look at click here

It's free.

Urotsukidoji 14:24 15 Nov 04

before anyone else suggests another piece of software they can buy/ d/l off the net etc that you have to install, configure, and work out how to use....

what my post was trying to find out, but here i will make assumptions, is do you have XP?

if the answer is yes, use remote desktop between the two, it is a simple matter of ticking 2 boxes and presto you get a remote desktop to the other machine, where you can use that machine via r/d as if you were sat next to it.

no software to install
easy to use (any muppet can tick 2 boxes)

if you have a mixed network (ie 98/me and xp or something similar) you will need to install tsclient or terminal services on the xp cd, again easy, free, and only a little file to install

personally would not use cob's suggestion as i find it parochial and twitchy, it is also a pain when it decides to open ports on my router. don't go there

caveat emptor

Urotsukidoji 14:49 15 Nov 04

as i said i assume both machines are running xp

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 16:22 15 Nov 04

thanks alot for your suggestion,they both have windowsXPHE network connected by ethernet crossover,2 computers,100mbps,but none have Pro,ill take a look at links later,cheers all.ben

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…