Logging onto BT Openworld password problem

Bapou 21:56 18 Jan 03
  Bapou 21:56 18 Jan 03

I've been online for ages,there are 10 messages being downloaded but every few seconds a box pops up "Log on to the following Server BTOW".
"enter user name and Password". My name is there and the blanked out password., as my setting has always been 'remember password' I click OK.

The messages resume downloading then up it pops again. This has being going on for about three hours,I can't trace the setting to rectify.What do I do please?. I'll never get to bed!

I'll have stay here for answers as any response will only join the queue I suppose.

Forum Editor 22:54 18 Jan 03

Would be your mail account settings. You don't say, but I assume you're using Outlook Express, in which case you should click on tools and select accounts.

When the dialogue box opens, make sure the mail accounts tab is selected and click once on your default mail account to highlight it. Now click on the properties button on the right.

When the properties dialogue opens, click on the servers tab and delete the password that's entered there. Enter your passwrod and click on 'apply' and OK.

Now close Outlook Express and restart it. Do a send and receive and all should be well. If it isn't, there may be an error on the BTOW mail server. If you get a password error message from a POP3 mail server you should always wait at least half an hour before trying again - mail servers operate something called a Poplock, a security device that prevents unauthorised users trying dozens of different passwords in rapid succession - the server will lock out even the authorised user for a while, and then reset, so give it time.

Bapou 23:30 18 Jan 03

Thank you for responding, yes it's Outlook Express 6. The problem coincided when a friend started sending a scanned photo in Bitmap form, for some unknown reason he was sending 10 of the same picture.Another possible conflict is I also have Incredimail and that's where they were arriving.

I shall now follow up your advice and hopefully rectify everything. Thank you.

Forum Editor 23:35 18 Jan 03

may have started a chain of events. If the file size was too large the BTOW POP server may have locked the mailbox.

If this has happened you can delete the offending messages by going into the BTOW webmail service and deleting from there. That should return things to normal.

Bapou 23:44 18 Jan 03

No, I followed your advice, now Outlook Express will not reopen. Incredimail has now started downloading all 10 files again. Sorry I've had enough for now, I'm disconnecting and off to bed,it can wait until morning.

Forum Editor 00:01 19 Jan 03

Something's not right here. Simply re-entering a password in a mail account will not prevent OE from launching.

When you read this you'll have restarted your computer, and with luck you'll be able to launch OE again.

Bapou 00:24 19 Jan 03

Sorry I decided to stick around a while longer after seeing your last message.

I went into Web Service and could not access my inbox. An e-mail has been sent to BT explaining,
they have replied once in the past when I had a problem.

Then, disconnected, restarted computer,reconnected,and was able to access Outlook Express. Unfortunately those files started downloading again and still are.

All this is beyond me,I have no wish to keep you up as well so this time I will retire and see what tomorrow brings. Thank you again.

Bapou 00:25 19 Jan 03

Oh! and a good friend is about to get an earful tomorrow.

Bapou 07:49 19 Jan 03

Back again, switched on, connected,Outlook Express accessed, clicked on Send/Receive, and 1 of 14 messages have started downloading. Obviously the bitmap files have started all over again coming in.

Last night, BT somehow e-mailed me to say I had exceeded the 50mb space allowed and to delete old and large files to clear space. This has been done.

I had received 9 of the 10 before I was cut off last night,now they have started from no.1 again. How can I stop these files coming in as the two hour cut off by BT will come before download completes. I just do not have a clue.

Bapou 10:17 19 Jan 03

I've, hopefully, resolved the issue by phoning BT's helpline and they are preventing the 10 files in question from arriving. Prior to contacting them my inbox had almost completed receiving when I was cut off due to the 2hr rule. Thanks for your help in preventing that log on popup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…