Logging on to 2nd hand pc probs?

Cooter 10:00 02 Nov 04

Hi all, basically my lady friend has been given a Compaq pc by her younger brother who has about as much idea as me about this problem!

At the logging on screen it has two accounts to click on, "family" and "john". Clicking on family brings up a window saying "Windows XP has been deactivated,please get an administrator to reactivate windows", and obviously pressing "OK" does nothing. Clicking on "john" prompts the pc to ask for a password of which her brother john cant remmember, great! Even with the hint he cant remember!

So in short, can I bypass the logging on/passwords screen somehow and can I clear this pc to a point, so she can have some sort of fresh start.But obviously without losing the windows xp programme which, even though the pc says is deactivated, should be still usable if the xp screen comes up at the beginning of startup?

Thankyou very much in advance.

woodt 10:25 02 Nov 04

Ok I suggest you boot into Safe Mode by selecting F8 during the boot sequence. You have to be quick as you only get about 2 seconds to select F8 or it goes into the normal boot sequence. Select Safe Mode from the list of available options and eventually at the Logon screen you will see another account called Administrator. This will also require a password but I suspect it will be blank i.e no password. When you are logged on go to Start/Control Panel/User Accounts and set up a new user for yourself with administrator rights.

xania 11:35 02 Nov 04

Assuming that your lady-friend has also been given the OS CD, the simplest approach would be to wipe the system and start again.

Cooter 13:01 02 Nov 04

thanks woodt, I will try that, but do you mean just leave the actual password blank?

and thanks also xania, but without sounding too naive what would the OS CD be?

xania 16:42 02 Nov 04

The CD that with Windows XP. Without this, you really don't have the right to use the software.

Cooter 16:49 02 Nov 04

well we wont get into the legalities of another member of the family using the xp programme! but thanks for replying

ventanas 17:01 02 Nov 04

Has you friend's brother retained the O/S CD to use on another machine? That would probably explain the de-activation. The rule is one disc to one machine. As Xania says, without the CD and licence you cannot use the PC, and probably won't be able to.

Cooter 17:06 02 Nov 04

Oh I see, good point ventanas, perhaps thats what xania meant. Sorry I didnt realise that, I thought once it was on a pc it stayed there. Very naive of me!

I will be going down the F8 route very soon and if that doesnt work I'll assume its the xp cd going elsewhere. cheers all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:14 02 Nov 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…