Aol Hater 11:10 02 Jul 03

how do i log in as the /root in mandrake 9? when i start it i am only given one option (my name) and no option to log in as /root, however if i need to do something that requires /root access then i am prompted for my password, but this only happens in wizard type progs, when i need to write to a file pppoe.conf for example i am told i dont have write permission, so how can i log in as /root?

Tesman 11:44 02 Jul 03

Two ways to do it - if you want root to be added to the login screen, open the Control Center (Start > Configuration), go to System, Login Manager, Administrator Mode (type in your root password here), Users, and uncheck the box for root in the Hidden Users part.

You can also open a terminal and type "su" without the quotes, enter your root password and open the file from there with a text editor such as emacs or kedit. Try the command "kedit etc/ppp/pppoe.connect"
(again, no quotes).

Tesman 11:48 02 Jul 03

I'm assuming the pppoe.conf file is something to do with setting up a broadband connection, which I know nothing about, being a mere dialup user. The command I gave was only a guess - you'll probably have to adjust it to suit. The principle remains the same, though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…