Log on password - How do I stop it?

big staff 18:12 13 Mar 04

I don't know why but the last three times I have turned my laptop on it has taken it upon itself to present me with a 'Log On To Windows password request'. No one else has tampered with it. Any offers how to stop it asking?? I'll worry about why it did it another day!
Thanks all,

VoG II 18:13 13 Mar 04

Version of Windows?

big staff 18:18 13 Mar 04

It is XP home. Never asked for a password since I got it last September. Strange.

VoG II 18:21 13 Mar 04

Start, Run, type in

control userpasswords2

and click OK.

Untick "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer".

Rennaissance 18:35 13 Mar 04

i also noticed that if you delete all the users and just have one then it will automatically log in. (Just a note)

Rennaissance 18:37 13 Mar 04

hi VoG does your suggestion work for xp pro? I tried it and it didnt work.

VoG II 18:39 13 Mar 04

Should do. DEfinitely works in Home.

An alternative is to use TweakUI click here

Rennaissance 18:41 13 Mar 04

oops sorry VoG forgot to type control. Heh.

big staff 20:36 13 Mar 04

Hi VoG, it didn't work for me either. I logged off to try it and couldn't get back on. I got a new message saying "unable to log you on because of an account restriction". I went for a think and decided to try and start in safemode and it let me on. I reversed what you suggested and as youv'e gathered I'm back on, but still with the original problem!!

keith-236785 20:49 13 Mar 04

you need to change the settings in your windows login, let me have a look around winxp and i will come back to you.

Mikè 20:55 13 Mar 04

Can't you remove it in control panel/user accounts?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…