Log off from Broadband ??

WallyD 17:47 21 Mar 08

Running Vista with Cable Broadband
I have my PC switched on for long periods when I'm not requiring the internet.To safeguard my PC from intruders is there a way to disconnect from broadband without pulling the J45 plug. Just as one could do when using a modem.
Many thanks

WallyD 18:01 21 Mar 08

Just noticed that when I,m playing DVD music the task bar indicates Protected mode on ???
Does this mean the machine is safe from outsiders ??
OK I've just changed over to new Pc and software so a little caution is needed
Cheers

Sea Urchin 18:08 21 Mar 08

If you can see the connection icon in the notification area (on the system tray by the clock) right click and select "Disable" - you can later do the same and select "Enable" to reconnect. If you don't show the icon go to Control Panel > Network Connections and right click your connection > Properties and tick box which says "Show icon in notification area when connected".

WallyD 18:09 21 Mar 08

Thank you Sea Urchin

WallyD 18:17 21 Mar 08

OOPs !
Found what I presume is the correct icon and right click gives five choices the top one is connect to a network .I cant find disable and I petrified of making a c--up
cheers

Sea Urchin 18:49 21 Mar 08

There can also be a couple of other similar icons - one for network connections and one for wireless. If you check the properties as above and see if the check-box is ticked for "show icon etc" - if not tick it and another icon should appear.

ton 21:20 21 Mar 08

Might be easier for you to switch off your router.

big bloke66 21:30 21 Mar 08

All i do is switch off the cable modem, job done.
There should be a button on it somewhere, well there is on mine anyway.
Hth.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…