Locking PC through password

tippucat 18:15 09 Feb 03

Hi all

If your PC is password protected is there any way of circumventing this? At work, as we all have to hot desk, there is a capacity for over riding passwords and that is that of pulling the power lead out the back! Appears to work every time. Would the same apply to individual home PC's or is it because work PC's are on a network? Thanks

bremner 18:19 09 Feb 03

I don't think FE would allow an answer on how to circumvent a password on this forum as that would be highly inappropriate.

If you are able to override a password at work by the method described then your IT manager needs to find a new job ;)

tippucat 18:33 09 Feb 03

'bremner', point taken. Guess i hadn't thought through implications of public posting. However, i am concerned about this and if there is a mechanism that allows for this to happen how would i then go about taking protective steps. As for IT at work. Nuff said.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:41 09 Feb 03

2 minutes, tops, to get past the windows password on a home computer...it is not terribly secure.

bremner 18:46 09 Feb 03

If you want to protect your own files then an easy method is to individually password protect them.

In Word / Excel / Access = Save As > Options > Password protect for both read only and modify.

tippucat 18:55 09 Feb 03

'bremner' + 'Gandalf' thanks. But, what I really want to do is to prevent anyone accessing my PC when I'm not around. Too be honest, I don't keep anything that sensitive on my PC however I do not want anyone using my PC in my absence. If the usual password system does not secure my PC what other steps can I take (other then disconnecting, locking in a shed with a big padlock and, wrapped in chains!). What happens at work got me thinking.... Thanks

bremner 19:02 09 Feb 03

If you are talking about your home PC then most BIOS allows a password on boot up.

As Gandalf said W95 and 98 (i don't know about ME) password protection is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

If you have or can upgrade to XP then the password protection on that is very much better.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:42 09 Feb 03

Use the password feature on the screensaver. ;-))) If your aim is just to stop casual browsing then this is the answer.

tippucat 21:02 09 Feb 03

Is it not amazing that so much time and effort, not to mention money, is spent on securing systems from on line problems but, when it comes to securing your system externally, there is a lot less security? I'm amazed anyway. Thanks Bremner and Gandalf.

deecee50 23:25 09 Feb 03

if you really want to secure it then get free prog "access denied" available on net ,no one will get in your puter anyway at all

tippucat 19:21 10 Feb 03

thanks all.

ps i did tick yesterday?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…