Locking folders in XP

Oldcodger 17:23 07 Nov 04

Does anyone know how (or if) you can lock any file/folder/partition in Windows XP without creating any other users?
This is so that I can let my grandchildren onto the computer without all the hassle of creating individual accounts and still block access to my personal and important stuff.

rawprawn 17:50 07 Nov 04

click here Try this.

Molded 17:52 07 Nov 04

Right Click on your desktop and select New/Compressed Folder.Rename the folder as whatever you want.

Open the folder and locate the files you want to keep private and drag them into your new folder using right click/drag/move here.

When you have moved all you want to , in the new folder go to File/Add a Password , and follow the instructions.

This new folder can then only be accessed with a password.

rômanab 18:58 07 Nov 04

You could always just create one other limited account for all your grandchildren to use. Being a limited account will also mean they can't inadvertantly download and install anything.

Oldcodger 08:58 08 Nov 04

Thanks for responses - I'll look into the link and I'll try the trick from Molded and get back to you.
Romanab - I've already done what you say and, of course, it works well. It's just too much hassle with games and things and setting permissions - that's why I wanted neater way.

Oldcodger 09:18 08 Nov 04

OK, I've tried the zipped folder idea - thought it was good but then found that you can still right click on any file and delete it!
That rather defeats the object so, it seems it's either paying for a software utility to do it or, use XP's system to set up accounts again.
Oh well, many thanks all.
I'll leave it at that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…