Locked Threads on this forum

audeal 11:14 11 Nov 11
Answered

When I booted up at 11am this morning I found all the threads on page 1 and about 20 threads on page 2 where Locked. I have never come across this before. Does anybody know of a reason for this happening, is there a problem with the site or some other reason.

audeal 11:17 11 Nov 11

Now I have posted this thread they seem to have unlocked. Strange, maybe a coincidence.

gengiscant 11:25 11 Nov 11
Answer

Seemingly,and the powers that be did not seem fit to notify the forums, it was to do with the 2 minutes silence at 11 am.

audeal 11:33 11 Nov 11

That seems to coincide with what has happened.

lotvic 11:38 11 Nov 11

I fail to see why people are surprised, and why would you need to be notified? the rest of the nation was silent also.

2 minutes silence every year - respect.

Matt Egan 11:41 11 Nov 11

Hello all. Actually, we locked the threads by mistake during some routine upgrade work. However, the fact that we were observing a two-minute silence in the office meant the bug was left unfixed at precisely that time of day. Perhaps it's something we should consider doing deliberately in future years?

gengiscant 11:44 11 Nov 11

Thanks for the honesty Matt, very refreshing.

I fail to see why people are surprised, and why would you need to be notified? the rest of the nation was silent also.

My TV was still mumbling away in the background, so not everyone was silent.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:46 11 Nov 11

What a Good Idea to lock the threads at that time :0)

We all need reminding that some things are much more important than othersand need to be rememered.

rdave13 11:53 11 Nov 11

I also agree that it would be a good idea.

lotvic 12:15 11 Nov 11

"My TV was still mumbling away in the background"

What's that got to do with it? TV is on auto transmit and the people working through the 2 mins to maintain service, you can't have a complete blackout of transmissions or the country.

Anyway Matt has said it was accidental but it was a nice touch to not 'mend' it until after the 2 minutes had been observed.

Jameslayer 12:24 11 Nov 11

I think it would be a good idea as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant