Locked out of my own files! Windows XP

Mac & Beth 18:30 06 Jan 03
  Mac & Beth 18:30 06 Jan 03

OK. Windows XP Clean reinstall. SP-1 Installed patched etc etc.

Now comes the funny bit.

The PC was set up with me as an Admin and the other users and Limited Accounts. Using MS Backup (I KNOW NOW!!!) i backed up the My Documents folder (10 Years worth of Word docs, Excel, Scanned and Digital Pics etc etc).

Now when i restore the files to a temp folder to drag and drop em back in the new users folders, I can access the files for the Limited Accounts OK but all my Admin level files keep coming up as "Access Denied".

I know i should have drag and dropped them onto a CD without backup but i had so much it made more sense (AT THE TIME) to backup to a different partition like this.

I'm logged in as an Admin, can access the old Limited Accounts (so kids homework can be recovered ok) but my 10 years of work is locked.

Please tell me there's a setting or something to switch this protection off. I've tried accessing it from an account with the same name as the old one but no joy.

Go easy, please - i'm close to tears as it is......

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:36 06 Jan 03
  Mac & Beth 18:40 06 Jan 03

Been there and tried it but it wouldn't give me ownership. Copying the folders to Shared Docs didn't work UNTIL I MOVED them there by mistake (3rd attempt)! Blimey Windows is trying sometimes.

Access fully restored and leason learnt.

Make Loads of different backups.

SORTED

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:43 06 Jan 03

and......Tools, Folder Options, View tab - uncheck the simple file sharing button then go to your folder,right click on folder, sharing and security, sharing panel, check share. Use the permision button to give you access as administrator might be worth a try.

G

wawadave 18:44 06 Jan 03

OW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

This article was previously published under Q308421
IN THIS TASK
SUMMARY

How to Take Ownership of a Folder
How to Take Ownership of a File
REFERENCES
SUMMARY
This article describes how to take ownership of a file or folder to which you have been denied access.

If you require access to a file or folder to which you do not have access (permission), you must take ownership of that file or folder, where you replace the security permissions to allow yourself access.

back to the top
How to Take Ownership of a Folder
NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account that has administrative privileges. If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, in order to have access to the Security tab, you must first start in Safe Mode and log on with an account that has Administrative rights.

If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File sharing when not joined to a domain. For additional information about how to do this, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

307874 HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP

To take ownership of a folder:
Right-click the folder you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
Click OK. The following message appears, where folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

Click Yes.
Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.
back to the top

How to Take Ownership of a File
NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account that has administrative privileges.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:
Right-click the file you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
In the Name list click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The Administrator or Administrators group now owns the file. To change the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, continue to step 5.
Click Add.
In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account to which you want to give access to the file. For example, Administrator.
Click OK.
In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want (for example, Administrator), and then click to select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user. For example, Full Control [Allow]. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.
back to the top

REFERENCES
For additional information about file and folder permissions, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

161275 Interaction of File and Folder Security on NTFS Volumes

Mac & Beth 19:09 06 Jan 03

OK seem to have done. True Simple File Sharing is not avalible under Home but some how i've managed to fudge control of my own files again.

Mac & Beth 08:36 07 Jan 03

GANDALF <|:-)>, wawadave, ßéŁâ - A big thank you. A combination of your help and my blind panic helped get it sorted.

Basically I rebooted into Safe Mode as an Admin and then kept right clicking folder and files and somehow forcing the access to Adminsiotor, which then allowed me to make copies of the files. 2 hours later and i had access to them.

I think that expereince gave me enough exerise to last a week! Phew!!

I used to use a simple backup program to copy my docs to a seperate partition in the old Win98 days but under Xp it kept locking up with files in use. MS Backup seemed ideal because it didn't lock up and previous recoveries where ok. However when i tried to recover to a new XP installation all was not well.

Looking for a new method of backing up docs soon where I can make my folder Private but still access it on a new installation of Xp without fudging access rights!!!!!

Cheers again you kept my hope up when all was lost.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…