Locked out from my laptop

AJ25 22:36 09 Dec 05

I have an old laptop from work which is a Dell Latitude. I installed a wireless adapter to link it to my home network but somewhere along the line I have changed the login details. I know the password but the username has changed to Administrator which was not the case before. Obviously I have tried all the names I thought it was but to no avail. The OS is Windows 2000 pro.

Please help

Diodorus Siculus 22:41 09 Dec 05

Forgot the Administrator's Password?
click here

Diodorus Siculus 22:42 09 Dec 05

Instead of Administrator, type in the user name you know.

AJ25 22:43 09 Dec 05

I don't know the username that was there. Like I said I tried all the ones I thought it was.

And it's not that I forgot the admin password....I never had it...never needed it!

Diodorus Siculus 22:46 09 Dec 05

Read the link; it gets you around the problem you have whether you lost it, never had it or simply found the PC on the bus. The solution doesn't depend on you forgetting a password.

Diodorus Siculus 22:46 09 Dec 05

By the way, have you tried leaving it blank without a password?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:49 09 Dec 05

Windows2k/XP
Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license

agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

AJ25 22:54 09 Dec 05

I don't have the CD. I'm reading the link from Diodorus now and trying to decide which option to use

AJ25 23:31 09 Dec 05

OK so what's the answer when there is no Setup CD available?

phono 00:05 10 Dec 05

See here click here there is a CD ISO or floppy version available, not for the faint hearted mind you but it does work a treat. Read the article carefully.

Diodorus Siculus 08:00 10 Dec 05

"OK so what's the answer when there is no Setup CD available?"

Any of those in the link I posted and which phono repeated.

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor
click here for the best option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…