locked memory stick- how to unlock?

SparkyJack 28 Jan 12
Answered

One of my flock passed to me a memory stick called Istar-8.4 Gb which has a built in security software.- it appears to have got 'itself' locked and when the soft ware screen display comes up the 'unlock' button and password field remain greyed out.

This is of course a Windows item- and as I run Ubuntu- there is nothing I can do to poke around.

Any ideas please.

Nontek 28 Jan 12

I don't think there is any such item as a Istar-8.4Gb memory stick - or at least not according to Google!

rawprawn 28 Jan 12
Answer

Format it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 28 Jan 12
  heymin 28 Jan 12
  pompyx 28 Jan 12

My Sandisk cruisers are the same, if it is locked you will have to first unlock it with a Windows O/S, then Ubuntu can read it.

SparkyJack 29 Jan 12

Thank you Fruitbat for the Tech salsa link - this may prove useful

Pompyx and Haymin

Thank you for yours but I am not particularly interested in opening the item via Ubuntu The memory is owned by a Windoze user- that is what I am trying to ascertain. But will test the Ubuntu route - you never know it may happen to somkething of mine- one day.

pompyx 29 Jan 12

The Scandisk for example only allows 3 attempts to open it, if the Istar-8.4 Gb has the same type of security it will then lock up. I think, as has already been suggested by Rawprawn, it will have to be Re-formatted.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Wacom Cintiq 27QHD review

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message