Lock in on web sites

redtail 00:00 25 Nov 03

When I visit certain web cites or links I get locked in,unable to use the back button or even close the page.

Does anyone no of a way to stop this.

I am sure I have seen a download someware that will add a button to the browser to release you from the site, hope someone outthere can help
thanks.

MichelleC 09:27 25 Nov 03

It could be several things. It may be your ie needs repairing or reverting (then updating again) or a cookie security issue or firewall prob.

Falkyrn 09:33 25 Nov 03

try pressing the backspace key on your keyboard as this can act as a back button on IE

redtail 19:36 25 Nov 03

Thanks to MichelleC and Falkyrn for trying to
help, but i think you may have misunderstood the
problem.

I can normally surf the net without problems, but
certain cites deliberatly lock you in to force you to click on an option that you do not wish to, when you then try to leave the site you are not able to use the back button or even close the page.

a way around this is to use the down arrow next to the back button, to take you back

redtail 19:59 25 Nov 03

Thanks [email protected] E that is one i have not tied.

cycoze 20:00 25 Nov 03

I know it can be frustrating when an extra large window opens with no toolbar and at the same time covers the taskbar.

One way around it is to use the Windows key and the D key at the same time , this will minimize all windows , leaving you to right click the offending one on the taskbar and click on `close`.

It wont work every time unfortunately , assome sites are a little bit to crafty.

MichelleC 08:39 26 Nov 03

Also it's a good idea to check for trojans etc after visiting these lock-on sites.

MichelleC 11:46 26 Nov 03

Did a bit of research. It's not trojans it's viruses which can enter when the site's pop-up approval message comes up even if you click nothing and exit on crtl,alt,delt.

redtail 00:18 27 Nov 03

Thanks again to cycoze and MichelleC i hope your
sugestions will get me out of trouble next time.

If i do find that download i stated in the original posting i will get the link for others
who have had this problem.

cycoze 17:36 27 Nov 03

I see you have ticked this thread but hopefully you will read this .

I thought about this subject a little more and as i said above "It wont work every time unfortunately , as some sites are a little bit to crafty" , if the Windows key / D key does not work , another option and more likely to work is by using the ALT key and F4 key together , this should shut the offender off !

I also had a look on google and the popular name for a page with out a toolbar is "chromeless window" , if you want a better explanation of what can be done have a look click here .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017