Lock or Password protect folders

Skeletor 20:33 31 Dec 05

I'm looking for a small, and preferably free program that locks or password protects folders. I'm using Win XP Home SP2. I've done a search here, the only one I could find that fits the bill (ie. free) is "Cryptainer". Has anyone used it? If not, any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Many thanks and a Happy New Year to you all,

mgmcc 20:49 31 Dec 05

If you don't need anything particularly sophisticated, you can use XP's built-in facility for creating "Zip" files.

Highlight the folders, right click and select "Send To > Compressed (zipped) Folder". Once the "Zip" has been created, open it and from its "File" menu, select "Add a Password".

Skeletor 21:07 31 Dec 05

Thanks mgmcc,

I have thought about using a Zipped folder. If there is no real alternative that may be my only option. Have just done a bit of research on "Cryptania", seems you can only create vaults 20MB max which would be a bit of a pain.

Skeletor 13:10 01 Jan 06

After much Googleing I've come to the conclusion that, apart from "Cryptania", there isn't anything else that does the job (for free). If anyone knows of something I've missed, I'd appreciate the info.

LivEviL 13:16 01 Jan 06

you could also use WinRar for making bigger files (rar is just a compresion format like zip)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:35 01 Jan 06

The Lock click here
Hide Folders click here
Folderlock click here

DieSse 16:16 01 Jan 06

AxCrypt click here

I've used it - it's simple and free. (and Open Source - which IMHO is to be encouraged)

Skeletor 18:27 01 Jan 06

Thanks LivEviL,
I've not used WinRar as I already have XP's "Compressed (zipped) folders" and "WinZip" which I might use as a last resort. Find them a bit cumbersome for just locking folders though.

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\,
I came across those sites while "Googleing". If I understand correctly they offer a 30 day free trial, and then you have to part with some readies, or have I misunderstood? BTW the first site has closed down.

Thanks DieSse,
That's one I seem to have missed. I've downloaded and will install later

Thanks again guys,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:41 01 Jan 06

Hide Files & Folders
click here

Skeletor 20:31 01 Jan 06

Thanks again Fruit Bat /\0/\,

That looks pretty good. I'm going to try AxCrypt and Hide Files & Folders tonight. I'll let you know how I get on.

Skeletor 22:16 01 Jan 06

Just tried to install "Hide Files & Folders". Unfortunately it is not Freeware as the "Canadiancontent" site states. The description page says it is Freeware, the download page says it is Freeware, but reading the EULA it says that after the 30 day trial period you have to pay or uninstall. Needless to say, I quit the install and won't be visiting that site again.

Thanks again Fruit Bat /\0/\ for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…