Lock Control Panel option

Landy Man 18:11 16 Nov 03

Hi all

Anyone know how to prevent access/lock the control panel on Win98?. My kids have learnt you can change wallpaper etc from here, but before they cause me some real problems, I need to keep them out! What peomted this is I notice all the dialogue boxes have 'lost'their text display after some changes to wallpaper and screen saver.

Thanks in advance.

Diodorus Siculus 23:41 16 Nov 03

I don't know that it is possible; win98 is primarily for general use rather than corporate (like NT / 2k) and is fairly easy to work around.

woodchip 23:48 16 Nov 03

With Tweak UI you can hide icons in the control panel
second one down click here unzip and right click on the .INF file and choose install it puts it in the Control Panel

DieSse 23:51 16 Nov 03

Get a copy of System Mechanic click here - free 30 day trial.

In it you can (amongst many useful features) in the Customise Windows Settings section - hide access to the Control Panel, and disable changing of Display Properties.

Without having to hack into the Registry.

woodchip 23:52 16 Nov 03

PS there are so many ways to get to the above, Right click Desktop/Properties and Active Desktop from start settings, and may be others

Diodorus Siculus 08:15 17 Nov 03

woodchip - thanks for the reminder; I had forgotten about all that TweakUI does for Win98.

Landy Man 16:38 28 Nov 03

Thanks for the idea's guys.

I have downloaded TweakUI and System Mechanic, and certainly both can hide the Control Panel, (and provide some other intersting features), but niether can 'lock' it.

I can also confirm that when the Control Panel is hidden. a right click on the desktop and then Properties takes you straight into the Display Properties box.

The kids would know this, I am sure!!. Anyway, I have managed to respore all the settings now, and gone on a differnet tack to stop them screewing it up. They have told not to touch it again!. They know, and I know, and they know I know they know, Xmas is approaching. Behaviour is allready noticable better, washing up is done without asking, and yesterday my little girl vaccuumed all the house without being asked!!. So, how can we keep Xmas allways four weeka away?

Thnaks for the help.

Art

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…