Local and network printing

johnny42544 11:35 05 Jan 06

I am considering purchasing a USRobitics 5461 router/print server. My question is, if I connect my printer to the print server, does it then become exclusively usable only by those connected wirelessly, or can I still use it with my desktop computer which sits beside the printer? I do not wish to go wireless with the desktop, and I surely do not wish to have to purchase a seperate printer for my wireless applications.

Taff™ 12:35 05 Jan 06

This wireless Router has a USB port on the back to which you can connect a printer. You would need to connect your desktop to one of the routers 4 ports via an Ethernet cable. In other words you have to have a 10/100 Network Card in the desktop. If you don`t have this already you may consider buying a Cheap USB wireless network asapter instead - about £20 should do it.

lozparry 21:58 05 Jan 06

See this link, it explains all.

click here

johnny42544 00:58 07 Jan 06

I finally got this answer from USRobotics:

Thank you for contacting U.S. Robotics Technical Support.

You say that you want to know if you can use your printer on the print server and your computer
at the same time.

The only way that you could do this is to move the USB cable from the router to your computer to
print, and then move it back when done. In order for the printer to work on the router again,
you would need to power cycle the router to restart the print server.

johnny42544 01:02 07 Jan 06

I am incorrect in stating that the answer is incorrect....I failed to tell US RObotics that the desktop is connected to the internet via the same router the printer is going to be connected to.

SORRY!

john

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac