LOCAL HOST ????

blackpat 08:41 24 Jun 06

When looking at my Norton security "connections" list. I see my computer name and when I connected etc. But I also see a "local host" connection, that says things like "redirected connections etc." What is "local host" and should I be concerned about it?
Thanks in anticipation,
Blackpat.

Taff™ 08:45 24 Jun 06

Is the address for Local Host 127.0.0.1 ? If so it`s nothing to worry about - its your Hosts file and should be OK

mgmcc 08:48 24 Jun 06

The "Local Host" is your own computer and the local host IP address is 127.0.0.1

References to it are unlikely to be a cause for concern. Some AntiVirus programs change the POP3 server address in your email program to 127.0.0.1, to redirect the traffic to your own computer so that it can be virus checked.

blackpat 19:34 24 Jun 06

Thanks Taff & MGMCC. Looking down the connection list address column, All the ones with my computer name on, "Fred" (not real name) has the numbers of my IP address, but the ones with the local hosts doen't have a address , meaning no numbers or anything. On the details box at the bottom, it says: da-bjp-base-(1643)this is not the real number, but it is set out in this way. Is there any place else where I can find the local host addy?
Thanks again,
Blackpat

mgmcc 22:32 24 Jun 06

I really don't know what you are trying to find or what it is that you are concerned about. Local Host is your own computer. All connections to the Local Host are to your own computer. If it does have an IP address, which it won't necessarily have, the address will be 127.0.0.1

blackpat 06:18 25 Jun 06

mgmcc, many thanks for putting my mind at rest. I thought that I may have had a spy on my computer, trying to connect. I'm much obliged to you,
regards, Blackpat7

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…