Local Disc 'D' is full ??

alphasaab 14:17 03 Apr 08

(Using Vista Basic)The following message keeps coming up on my laptop, “ Local Disc ‘D’ is almost full, and gives a link to “Disk Cleanup Options”

When I open that link there are two options “My Files or All User Files” Does not matter which one I select there is nothing there to cleanup?

Using “My Computer” shows the there is a Disc D and it is almost full with 68.4 MB free of 7.8GB but when I open that drive there are only three files on it . They are: Joe-PC File Folder with 0 bytes. Recovery File with 320KB and a Medialid a bin file with 1KB!! Where is the reported 7 plus GB?? (I only have one hard drive ‘C’ shows 44.6GB free of 66.6GB)
I have tried to carry out a full backup to a DVD but I get the message that the DVD does not have enough space available? An unused 4.7 GB DVD? I have only had this laptop for a few months and quite amazed that there is anything like the 22 GB reported on ‘C’ let alone the 7GB on this unknown drive ‘D’
Anyone any idea what’s going on?
Regards
Joe

woodchip 14:22 03 Apr 08

Yes it's giving you the option to remove programs and files to make some space for it to work.

D:\ looks like your Restore Partition. Not made for loading things to basically I would not remove any large files from there as they will be restore files for your computer, along with your restore CD

Ditch999 14:23 03 Apr 08

This might be a recovery partition to reinstall Vista should the need arise. It is usually hidden and you dont see it at all. You dont mention the make or model of your laptop. Do not delete anything on it until you find out what the hidden files are.

woodchip 14:25 03 Apr 08

To backup D:\ you need to do it with Acronis True Image, use full Compression and save the Image of D:\ to C:\ then copy the Image to DVD you can then remove the Image from the C:\ drive

katkins 14:44 03 Apr 08

alpha

Try the Microsoft link below. Somebody on the forums might know something about your prob.

click here

katkins 14:56 03 Apr 08

alpha

This link might work better than the last one I posted.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…