Local area network

karmann 16:04 29 Aug 04

Sorry in advance if I seem a bit thick.
I have 2 pcs and a laptop all three have lan cards fitted.I have tried to set up a network first from pc to pc and then from pc to laptop.everything seemed to install ok but I am told by the pcs and the laptop that the network cables are unplugged when in fact they are plugged in.What am I doing wrong.All three machines are running xp pro and I am connecting directly from pc to pc or pc to laptop with a standard 45 cable.Do I need to install any drivers, iff so how do I find them.
Any help would be appreciated.

You will need to have a cross-over patch cable when linking 2 PC's directly, not a straight-thru patch cable.

LastChip 16:16 29 Aug 04

If you're using a direct connection, are you using a crossover cable?

If you're using a straight through (patch) cable, it wont work, which may be why you are getting this message.

SEASHANTY 16:18 29 Aug 04

Connecting direct PC to PC or PC to Laptop using
Lan cards you need CROSSOVER RJ45 Cat5 cable. If you connect them via a hub or a router then you must use
STRAIGHT THROUGH RJ45 cables (sometimes called patch cables) click here

SEASHANTY 16:24 29 Aug 04

The difference is shown here
click here

karmann 18:37 05 Sep 04

Both now say that ther lan are connected but I dont seem to be able to get any response from one pc to the laptop

SEASHANTY 11:18 06 Sep 04

Check out the ethernet tutorial in HomeNetHelp
click here
Also another helpful website covering home networking click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…