Local area connection unpluged!

pittza 23:37 05 Oct 08

HI, My laptop connects to the net with wireless connection through my linksys ethernet adapter.
I was using it this morning when suddenly it disconnected, all I get now is a message saying 'Local area connection unplugged' what does this mean and how can I get reconnect please?

birdface 08:39 06 Oct 08

Right click it and press repair see if it comes up with any problems.

bobbybluenose 09:35 06 Oct 08

who is your isp

canarieslover 17:34 06 Oct 08

I don't know where you are but my son has reported to me that most of the phones in East Tilbury, Essex are out of order due to the theft of the cabling. Apparently a hole was dug, a rope attached to the cable and a lorry, then the lorry drove away pulling the cabling out of the ground. Good price for scrap copper at the moment. He doesn't know how long he'll be off-line.

Pineman100 18:39 07 Oct 08

The report that you've got is one that often appears when an ethernet connection to the router is unplugged, which seems strange if you've always connected wirelessly.

Have you tried connecting to the internet via an ethernet connection to your router?

FatboySlim71 08:34 08 Oct 08

If you are connected OK wirelessly, and if its just the local area connection unplugged notification that is bothering you, you can do the following to get rid of the message (the below describes with Vista):

Go into Device Manager by entering this in the Start Search.

Once in the Device Manager look for an entry called (or similar to) Network Adaptors. One of the entries should be for the wireless connection and the other should be the standard Ethernet that a wired connection uses. It should be easy to determine which one is the wireless connection as it should have wireless in the name.

Once you know which is the non wireless entry you can simply right click on it and select disable from the menu. This will now get rid of any notification that you have a "LOCAL AREA CONNECTION UNPLUGGED". If at a later date you need to connect via the Ethernet cable, you simple do the above but instead choose enable from the menu.

I have just purchased a laptop and after setting up the wireless internet initially with Ethernet cable, I then disconnected the Ethernet cable and got the "LOCAL AREA CONNECTION UNPLUGGED" notification, I got rid of it by doing the method I have described above.

ronalddonald 08:43 08 Oct 08

device manager can be found by right clik on my compuer properties and hardware then click device manager.

pittza 22:10 08 Oct 08

in device manager- network adapters I have no wireless connections showing and when I try to open wireless assistance in the control panel it wont open. I can only connect to the internet if I plug the Ethernet cable in.

FatboySlim71 22:23 08 Oct 08

You haven't inadvertently switched off wireless or some update may have done so?

You should have either a switch on your laptop to switch wireless on & off, or some laptops you press the FUNC/FUNCTION/FN key (they appear differently on different laptops) and usually one of the F keys, the F key in question usually has a symbol that looks like a transmission mast, press the above keys and see if it helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…