Local Area Connection 2 - Problem.

bear73 08:04 09 Nov 04

I have just installed AOL Broadband Gold and have noticed an icon in the bottom right of my pc next to the clock which has a yellow exclamation mark.

When you first start up the pc if you hover over it it says "Local Area Connection 2 Speed: 576.0Kbps Searching for Network Address" after about 30 seconds an exclamtion mark appears over the icon and it says "Local Area Connection 2. This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the internet or come network resources. For more info click this message.

I click the message and it says it's a Globespan USB ADSL LAN Modem.

There is also a section aclled activity which says Packets sent 71 Received 0

I can access broadband fine with no problems, the speed when I hover over the modem icon says DSL Modem Tx: 288 Rx: 576

Why is this icon appearing is there actually something wrong with my connection. It seems fine and very fast.

I have another area connection (an Ethernet adapter) which is disabled. I did this on advice from this forum because once again I had an icon that kept appearing telling me I had a network cable unplugged. I am not on any network this is just a bog standard home pc. I use XP Home.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

User-312386 08:29 09 Nov 04

go to start>control panel>Network and Internet Connections>Network Connections

Now tell us how many connections you have there please

bear73 08:59 09 Nov 04

Under Dial-Up it says:

AOL Dial Up Disconnected HSP56 Micromodem

Under LAN or High Speed Internet it says:

Local Area Connection 2 Limited or no connectivity Globespan USB ADSL LAN Modem

and

Local Area Connection Disabled VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter.

That's it.

Thanks

bear73 19:10 09 Nov 04

It seems it was an AOl and XP issue. I have downloaded an AOL patch and it seems to have rectified the problem.

Thanks

kpr 18:03 15 Dec 04

I installed broadband yesterday and have exactly the same problem except mine says local area connection 3 rather than 2.
I am also on XP and would like to know more about the Aol patch you downloaded to see if this helps me.

picklsey 19:28 15 Dec 04

same problem here would also like to know how and where you get the patch.

JIM 19:57 15 Dec 04

Via AOL help tab in Aol browser

click here

Important information for AOL members using Windows XP

AOL has identified a number of issues regarding how Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (XPSP2) interacts with AOL software.

If you are using Windows XP SP2, we strongly recommend you download the patch below, otherwise:
• You might be alerted to other connectivity problems by a small yellow warning icon that appears in your Windows system tray (at the bottom right of your screen).
• You may experience disconnects when you attempt to download large files.

Downloading the XPSP2 patch:
Please save any open documents and exit all applications other than AOL, as you will be required to restart your PC after the update has installed. The download will take less than 20 seconds on Broadband and less than two minutes on dial-up.

picklsey 05:13 16 Dec 04

thanks jim worked a treat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now