Loading XP Pro problem

tooter 13:03 24 Jun 06

Help! I am trying to load XP Pro upgrade on to my computer to replace Win 98. The consensus of opinion was it is better to do a clean install than an upgrade. So I downloaded the 6 XP Pro install floppies from the MS web site. I formatted my hard drive. Loaded the 6 XP Pro start up floppy discs, the new XP Pro CD fired up and everything looked fine.
But after partitioning and formatting section up popped the following message;
“ The following value in the .SIF file used by Setup is corrupted or missing: Value 0 on the line in section [SourceDiscFiles] with Key “SP2.cab.” Setup cannot continue. To Quit Setup, Press F3.
I tried to reload the disk a number of times but it stopped loading at this point every time. So I thought I would try to reload the original version of Win98 and use XP Pro as an upgrade, but after loading the Win 98 start up floppy up popped the following message; “ If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to create an MS-DOS Boot partition to set up Windows” How do I do that?
I must of some how changed from FAT 32 to NTFS while tying to install XP earlier. I tried reformatting the drive which hade no effect. So now I cannot load XP or reload my original version of Win98. What is the best way to go from here? It would be handy if I could some how complete the clean install of XP and repair the missing or corrupted .SIF file. I would be very grateful for any help.

SANTOS7 13:17 24 Jun 06

click here
As i see it you need to format your HDD to fat32 to support Win98, if your HDD is larger than 32gigs you will need to partition the drive first.

click here

Strawballs 00:36 25 Jun 06

Is the XP Pro CD a full install or just an upgrade CD? if it is an upgrade CD then it will have to be installed ontop of W98.

Giggle n' Bits 00:40 25 Jun 06

software installed on the HDD ? this can effect also if the disk you are using is a OEM it this a OEM BIOS Locked or OEM with no lock to system?

mattyc_92 10:58 25 Jun 06

Use "fdisk" to remove all partitions from the drive (select the "non-dos" partition option, if my memory serves correct, to remove a NTFS partition)

Then try again, as you would usually install Win98

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…