Loading XP on new PC

Gordon33 11:13 15 Oct 04

I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem my brother has in Australia? He has just purchased a new PC but on my recomendation he got it without any software installed as he already had XP Pro on his old machine which he is scrapping.

However when he tries to load XP he is getting the message EULAID: XPSP1_RM.1_PRO_RTL_EN and cannot get further. I've not come across this myself and as I feel responsible for my older brother's predicament (he is 72) I am trying to help him out.

Anyone any ideas as to how he can get going?

Thanks in anticipation

Gordon

wobblymike 11:41 15 Oct 04

Hi

When you say trying to load XP how is he doing this you indicate he had no software with it so it is not clear how he is doing it. Is it the case that he has XP on a CD? I ask because the methodology is crucial to the process he needs to follow.
Rgds

Graham ® 12:01 15 Oct 04

Worth reading here, also contains useful links:

click here

t.long 12:14 15 Oct 04

Unfortunatly your advice was not the best. If your brother owned a retail version of the OS then he should be able to install it on any computer - only one at a time mind you. However, it is only legal to install an OEM on the computer it was purchased with. As such I figure it probably has some sort of copy protection so it will only install to a Dell/IBM/HP et al system.

ventanas 12:36 15 Oct 04

I would assume that the initial EULAID stand for End user licnece agreement ID. Which would suggest that the disc is OEM and has been recognised as not the computer it was supplied with. However as XP is still not that old it would seem strange to be already scrapping a computer.

Rogerfredo 16:55 15 Oct 04

If you cannot get the existing XP to work, you can buy an OEM version of XP Home for about £60.

ventanas 17:05 15 Oct 04

No you can not. OEM versions of Windows can only be purchased with a new computer or qualifying item of non-peripheral hardware. Any other way is illegal.

Gordon33 17:26 15 Oct 04

My brother has a proper disk and it is a full legal version. Is it possible that the people who built the PC have put some sort of software on which is causing the problem. He is only a home user now having retired and treated himself to a new PC so the older one is being scrapped or perhaps given away without software on it.

Gordon33 17:28 15 Oct 04

Sorry I forgot to thank those who responded but I'm still not quite with it as i've just woken up after a very long night shift and I posted my initial enquiry just before I went to bed

VoG II 17:34 15 Oct 04

It is an OEM disk by the message he is getting.

click here

Start, Run, type in

winver

and click OK.

Click on End-yser license agreement.

Scroll down to the bottom. Mine says "EULAID:WX.4_HOM_RTL_EN"

roy 19:32 15 Oct 04

VoG™

Surely, in the absense of the letters OEM, the disk is a retail one. As quoted in original post: EULAID: XPSP1_RM.1_PRO_RTL_EN

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…