Loading XP home onto a partitioned drive?

BrianW 21:36 27 Dec 03

I have a 40 gb drive partioned into two. One partition has win 98se + programmes. The other has all my photos + other data files.

Would I have any problems doing a clean install of XP home onto the 98se partition? I'm worried it may mess up my data partition in the process.

Help / advice welcomed.

(I have upgraded XP home running happily on a separate 20 gb drive and currently switch between the two HDs using BIOS boot sequence)

Brian

spruce 22:13 27 Dec 03

Back up your photos, that is the safest.

Don't forget if you try to install XP it will look for the available partition, so it will look to the partition that you have your photos.

If you want a dual boot partition the 98 into two partitions, providing that there is adequate space to host both the operating systems.

Or if you want to just have XP boot with with 98 floppy and format the 98 partition, installing XP having formated, which will by default be the active partition.

If your photos are really important, don't mess around until you have backed up your files.

leo49 22:16 27 Dec 03

It'll be perfectly safe as long as you read the screen prompts very carefully at each stage and ensure you're installing into the right drive.

habs 11:54 29 Dec 03

i have 80 GB hard disc, and partitioned 2 two 40 GB each.I had a lot of photo and films on 1 partition, when suddenly i had a problem with my computer, and i had to format my hard disc. I lost everything.
I wish i had back up my pictures and movies.
please back up before doing anything.

good luck

leo49 12:07 29 Dec 03

Surely the moral of your story is to learn how to do things properly. :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…