Loading Windows from Scratch

Rat Runner 17:39 13 Jul 04

I expect to format my son's C: drive and then reload Windows 98SE. Can someone please tell me what I need to do in order to make his computer operate faster than at present? I believe that my son has all the necessary disks (including the 98SE disk complete with Authentication Code).

Any help will be appreciated, as I don't want to mess up his computer.

Thanks for any reply.

rawprawn 17:45 13 Jul 04

I think if you reformat, and reload windows that is as fast as it will get. you will have everything clean so there should be nothing to slow it down.

pj123 17:51 13 Jul 04

You would also need to make sure you have the motherboard disk, graphics drivers, sound drivers, modem drivers etc. Go to click here and download the bootdisk for win98se.

Once you have made a boot disk restart your computer with the bootdisk. fdisk, partition and format the disk and then reinstall windows 98se and all the programmes that your son had on the computer.

Please note this will take it back to square one. All personal files, internet favourites, email addresses etc will be lost.

keith-236785 18:00 13 Jul 04

you will need a windows98 startup disk to enable you to re-install windows98 after a format.

click start/settings/control panel, double click Add/Remove Programs, second tab across the top says Startup disk, click the tab then click create startup disk (this is from memory so bear with me if the wording is wrong). You will need ONE blank floppy disk in the drive before you click create disk.

are you are sure you have all the setup disks. Graphic card/sound card/modem/network card/motherboard drivers/printer/scanner etc. make sure you have what you need because once you type "Format+Enter and then Y", it is too late.

everything of importance will need to be backed up before formatting. (e-mail address book,isp dial up phone number, user name and password for the internet) also any important e-mails need to be saved/printed

Rat Runner 18:22 13 Jul 04

I hoped for a reply but never expected so many so soon. Many thanks to everyone. I don't expect to have to purchase a replacement computer, now that I have had such positive replies!!!!!!

Sincere thanks.

TomJerry 18:27 13 Jul 04

Your son will ask for upgrade when he see you cannot make it quick by tweaking it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…