Loading QBASIC programs under Windows

Managing ed 09:50 28 May 08

I have some programs written in a version of BASIC issued under MSDOS.(QBASIC)

I want to be able to use these programs under Windows without loading the DOS prompt.

I also want to be able to produce a compiled version of these programs that could work under Windows

What would you recommend?

Thanks.

BryanR 10:21 29 May 08

You may be able to use DOSbox - click here for details... I think PCA included it on a cover disc a while back.

Bryan

TheAtheist 15:24 29 May 08

If you want your QBasic programs to run as Window applications; you won't be able to in QBasic as it is a DOS based language.

You might like to consider reprogramming them using Microsoft's Visual Basic 2008 Express. This is a free download from click here

You can then reprogram as a Windows application which has the look and feel of a windows program, such as forms, buttons, drop-down menus etc. Or reprogram as a 'console' application which retains the DOS feeling. Both methods mean you can compile your programs to .EXE files.

Doing any of this does mean you have to learn VB but that's not so bad has both QBasic and VB have the same roots. So you should find many similarities in the language.

Managing ed 15:20 02 Jun 08

I'll give it a whirl and report back. If anybody else has any advice, I'm all ears.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now