Loading new software

Margarete 15:05 28 Jan 04

I know you ought to close down all running applications when loading new software, but upon pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del I get a list of approx 15 applications with names that mean very little. I've identified the virus checker, but the others have mystified me.

Does anyone know how to establish which ones it's OK to close and which ones you mustn't?

Hyperangelic 15:14 28 Jan 04

The easiest way is to look in the Systray - normally the list of icons to the left of the computer clock. Right-click and close or disable all of the programs there. Most of them will reopen when you restart your machine anyway, but check the Antivirus etc when you start again.

The other processes in the Ctrl-Alt-Del shouldn't need to be closed down for an installation.

Terry Brown 20:41 28 Jan 04

The simlist solution is pres ALT + Tab together, this shows all running processes, and allows you to select and close them as required

Margarete 16:48 29 Jan 04

Many thanks to you both for your help.It's made a big difference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…