Loading Mepis from the March 2007 cover disc

Truffle 23:41 01 Feb 07

I have loaded SimplyMepis from the cover disc (issue 140)into a Toshiba Tecra 9000 which has a reformatted hardrive. The Welcome screen requires a user name and password. Has anyone else experienced this and overcome it?

vinnyT 03:38 02 Feb 07

In most distros, if you are asked for a pword/username at the start, you just input what you want ie username Truffle password ******* (make sure that you make a note of what you use), press enter and it will continue.

Hope this helps.

Truffle 19:11 02 Feb 07

Thanks for your rapid response but having tried this it displays the message "Login Failed". I wonder if there should have been a pword/username given with the CD?

vinnyT 12:07 03 Feb 07

Just been to the mephis site, on the 'where to download' page, it states "You can download testing and released versions of MEPIS for free from the mirror sites listed below" with no mention of a password/username being required.

However, when I used their search box, it took me to a google results page, at the bottom of which was a wiki link, in this was "4.When you get the log in dialog use "root" for user name and "root" for password."

So try root for both username & pword.

If this doesn't work, download a diff distro, ubunto and suse are popular.

For a list of 'live' distros, click here, worth bookmarking anyway.

Hope this helps.

stylehurst 13:19 03 Feb 07

I also tried this distro from the cover disk & found that "Root" did work for both user & P/W.
Having had a play with this distro I found that it would not recognise my ethernet card & router, hence no internet connection.
On reflection I will stay with PCLinux or Knoppix

vinnyT 14:51 03 Feb 07

That's one of the good things with linux, you can chop and change till you find what you want (or indeed, find that it's not for you) without it costing you anything.

Truffle 17:16 03 Feb 07

That worked! Many thanks for your help. Just waiting for it to finish installing.

vinnyT 10:18 04 Feb 07

Welcome

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…