Loading Linux from CD

Pidder 16:20 17 May 06

I am trying to load Xandros Linux 3.02 OCE from a CD. I get as far as entering an Administrator password but the keyboard does not enter any letters. I presume it's something to do with a BIOS setting, could someone please tell me what I'm missing?

mattyc_92 16:21 17 May 06

Sounds like you are missing the drivers for the keyboard!!

Have you got a FULL boot-disc of Linux?

rodriguez 16:23 17 May 06

If it's a USB or wireless keyboard it might need additional drivers. I had a problem with Ubuntu Linux where the mouse wouldn't move because it needed extra drivers. If you can get hold of an old PS/2 keyboard to use for now, use that until you can get the drivers for your current keyboard.

Pidder 16:41 17 May 06

Thanks both. The keyboard is PS/2. I presume it is a full boot-disc, got it from Linuxmedia.

iambeavis 16:46 17 May 06

I don't know about Xandros, but it is a security feature of ubuntu linux that the cursor remains static whenever a password is typed in. It's probably the same in Xandros and the password is being entered although nothing appears to be happening.

Pidder 18:40 17 May 06

Thanks, tried that but no joy.

woodchip 18:47 17 May 06

Why not let it just setup Linux the do the Admin after

Pidder 18:57 17 May 06

Thanks but it won't let me progress any further without entering a password. The keyboard seems to be inactive at this stage although I have checked it's operation with 98SE on the same PC.

woodchip 19:34 17 May 06

If it's a USB keyboard connect a PS2 one

Rtus 21:45 17 May 06

Snap ...a version of Gentoo which I was playing with.. I too couldnt get it to enter the PW user data before yes , so that throws out the Kb driver as it loads that before hand.the install went without a hitch. But on reboot it just doesnt type the Pw .even though you can enter text into the user field above it.Im just guessin,the code behind the second field (password input)is missing so it cant continue ..But then Im new to linux based things..Im trying it to see if it can offer a alternative 64bit O/S.

octal 22:19 17 May 06

It might worth asking this question in the Xandros forum, they are very helpful. I use Xandros but I haven't a clue, sorry. I hope you get it sorted because it a great system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac