loading graphics card drivers

nogga 10:30 07 Nov 04

I have a NVidia GeForce 2MX 100/200 card and in XP it is using drivers supplied by M/Soft. quite frequently my screen locks up and it says it cannot complete a drawing precedure. As I am unable to locate my driver CD, I have downloaded the appropriate driver from Nvidias web-site. The Microsoft drivers are not shown in Add/Remove programmes. Only when I double click on the graphics card in Device manager does it show the Microsoft driver files it is using. Can anyone tell me the correct procedure for installing the downloaded driver which is on my desktop.

Dorsai 10:50 07 Nov 04

The new drivers most likely came as a self extracting zip file.

Double click on the file on your desk top, and i hope it will give you the option to extract the drivers. Pick a place to put them. I personally would create a new folder on the c drive called 'graphics card driver' and put them in there, but the choice is entirely yours.

Once the files have extracted, i would go to the card in device manager, double click on it to open its properties, select the drivers tab, and hopefully there will be an update drivers button. click on it, and let things run their course.

Unless anyone else has a better idea.

Gongoozler 10:54 07 Nov 04

To remove the old drivers, right click on the desktop, select "Properties". Click on the "Settings" tab. Click the "Advanced" button. Click on "Adapter" tab. Click on the "Properties" button. Depending on you version of Windows you should no be able to find the option to uninstall the driver, or change your graphics card to "Standard VGA".

Dorsai 11:33 07 Nov 04

In theory you dont want to compleatly remove the default windows VGA drivers. They are there so if you put in a new GFX card, windows has a set of drivers that will work just well enough for you to get the PC up and running, so that you can then install the proper ones.

All you need to do is stop using the default ones, and start using the right ones.

Any luck yet nogga?

DoctorButcher 11:33 07 Nov 04

It might also be worthwhile upgrading DirectX if you haven't already done so...

I've seen similar problems to the one you're describing and it wasn't the graphics drivers, but a corrupt DirectX installation.

nogga 13:28 07 Nov 04

thanks Dorsai Gongozzler & Doctor Butcher, I extracted the files to a new folder on my XP drive (d) and got a warning message as I tried to install saying the files are not microsoft signed for XP and if I continue it could cause problems with my system, so I aborted. Yet the driver I downloaded from NVidia was under the heading XP/2000.

Gongoozler 07:17 08 Nov 04

"Drivers not signed" is not necessarily a problem. It is just warning you that Microsoft haven't yet approved them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…