loading a driver to my system

stu1162 16:42 19 Dec 05

I have just received an ethernet adapter with a small diskette containing the driver.
I have tried loading it but a small dialog box appears saying 'open with'.
How do i go about loading this driver as i do not know which programme to open it with.
I have windows 98se and the file is named adm8511.sys, and the driver is called ndis 5
Thanks

Skyver 16:48 19 Dec 05

This refers to a graphics card but the principle is the same; click here

stu1162 17:36 19 Dec 05

Thanks Skyver but the problem i have is that the driver is contained in a folder and i do not know how to extract the driver. I am told that i need a programme to 'open with'.

Skyver 18:27 19 Dec 05

You don't click on/open the file, the driver installation should find it on it's own. If it's in a zipped folder, get WinZip or something similar to decompress it. Alternatively copy the folder to your HD, and look inside the folder for files with names ending .sy_ , you may see adm8511.sy_ itself. Rename it to adm8511.sys and try installing again.

Strawballs 00:41 22 Dec 05

Connect the ethernet adapter and reboot and windows should detect the hardware and ask you to install drivers click on have disc and point it do the disc eg CD Rom and it should find the driver that it is looking for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…