Loading AVG free version

blackjohn 10:51 21 May 04

I have tried loading AVG,and get the following error messages.
Cannot find COMMDLG.DLL (I have checked and it does exist on my m/c)
"Can't run 16 bit windows Program" plus cannot find c:\docume~1\xpuser~1\locals\temp\wzs2a.tmp\setup.exe.

I have downloaded the AVWINSFX.EXE file onto a USB mass storage device @ the public library which uses 2000.

My m/c is using XP professional.

The only suggestion that I could find from the AVG site is that if there is any other exe files before the AVG one that this could cause problems loading. I therefore transferred it onto a CD as the only exe file, but still had the same problem

any help would be appreciated

IClaudio 19:02 21 May 04

you should be looking for a file called something like this: avg6524fu_free.exe, which is the name of the latest version I got.

It's about 6Meg

Taran 19:26 21 May 04

What has me more than a bit curious is how you managed to get AVWINSFX.EXE and not avg6524fu_free.exe

AVWINSFX.EXE click here or click here for the English version of the site, is not AVG.

AVG is a different product entirely and can be dowloaded from the parent site click here but make sure you select the free version to try it.

blackjohn 10:46 25 May 04

Apologies in being slow to respond to IClaudio & Taran, but have been on an extended weekend.

Taran the version AVWINSFX.EXE was from click here and they sent me an automatic e mail giving me the serial number to enter.

I originally used a HELPROOM thread which was about free Antivirus software.

I will try again with the AVG site

Stuartli 13:36 25 May 04

This may help you;

click here

You are on the Grisoft website, but may be either downloading the wrong version or for the wrong OS version or (given your downloading circumstances) the wrong environment..:-)

Stuartli 13:49 25 May 04

The link I provided above has a completely different interface to the AVG free edition - you've not been downloading the pay for version by any chance?

blackjohn 10:39 27 May 04

no i have re-tried on monday and got avg6688fu-free.exe, and received exactly the same error messages as originally stated.

PS I think i got the reference AVWINSFX from one of the e mails from grisoft acknowledging my download request, but i have definetly downloaded the free version in both cases.

hugh-265156 11:27 27 May 04

someone else with the same error click here=

have you tried booting into safe mode and trying to install avg from here maybe?

hugh-265156 11:28 27 May 04

also maybe try clicking start/run and type sfc /scannow and insert the windows cdrom if prompted to do so to fix missing or damaged system files.

Belatucadrus 14:06 27 May 04

Alternatively forget AVG and click here

blackjohn 10:58 28 May 04

Thanks huggyg71 i notice that she is trying to uninstall AVG and getting the error message

I,m a bit loathe to trying sfc/scannow- perhaps its the fear of the unknown & the fact there doesn't seem to be any other problem with the m/c, which is used extensively for photography & music editing.

Also as I have said in the original thread COMMDLG.DLL is in the system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…